Over the developments, all of the countries headed towards the sustainable development, including the sustainable tourism development. Responsible tourism and sustainable tourism have quite similar concepts and objectives. The concept of sustainable tourism was born in 1992, but the objects and methods of how to implement have still been always arised. Faced to the actual needs, the concept of responsible tourism was launched in 2002 showing how to proceed actually towards sustainable tourism development.
What is responsible tourism?
Tourism is responsible for helping economic growth, ensure environmental integrity, social justice, labor strengthen and promote the values ‚Äč‚Äčand respect for the local culture, creating tourism products quality tourism, cultural content and moral values ‚Äč‚Äčand a higher value of experience.
Responsible tourism in destinations is understood as minimizing the negative impact on economic, social and environmental; create greater economic benefits and improve the welfare of local people , improved working conditions and participation in tourism activities; encourage local people to participate in decisions that affect their lives; positive contribution to the conservation of the natural heritage and culture in order to maintain a diverse world; provide enjoyable experiences for tourists through the link between tourists and local people, to create understanding of the socio-cultural issues and local environment; create opportunities for people with disabilities and disadvantaged; respect for local culture, encouraging mutual respect between tourists and local people; build trust, ethnic pride for the community.
Types and concepts related to responsible tourism
Sustainable tourism development is to meet the current demand while protecting and enhancing opportunities for the future. Three factors balance in sustainable tourism development: economic, social and environmental.
"Ecotourism is based on nature and local culture, associated with environmental education, can contribute to conservation efforts and sustainable development with the active participation of the local community" (According to the Law on Tourism)
Community tourism is a form of travel to natural destinations, where indigenous cultures in order to bring benefits to local people by helping them to maintain their own decisions about the organization of tourism travel in areas of their lives.
Is a kind of eco-tourism and rural tourism, encouraging visitors to experience and learn the agricultural life of the farmers and fishermen during the day, overnight, or long-term activities such as: coffee, grapes, rice or fish, shrimp, crab ...
Tourism development principles responsible
Responsibility for economic
- When developing tourism projects, the need to assess the economic impact, determine the type of development priorities to bring benefits to local communities and minimize the negative impact on life their lives.
- Strengthen links to encourage stronger participation of local communities in tourism activities.
- The quality of the tourist product to the need to highlight the unique charm and focus on value-added.
- Promotion of tourism advertising to ensure respect for the integrity of the cultural, economic, natural and social; encourage the development of tourism in accordance with the actual situation.
- Create a fair business environment, offering reasonable rates and building business relationships shared responsibility in risk and success; recruiting and training skilled employees.
- Provide significant support for medium-sized businesses, small and very small activity in areas related to sustainable tourism.
- Actively attracting local communities involved in the process of policy formulation and decision-making, improve their capacity to realize the proposed initiatives.
- Social Impact Assessment through the campaign right from the project planning, project design in order to minimize the social impact and maximize the positive elements.
- Bringing tourism experience needs of the whole society to ensure the rights of all people, especially those groups and individuals are vulnerable and disadvantaged.
- Preventing sexual abuse in tourism, especially for children.
- Damage reduction in the exploitation and utilization of resources; tourism development closely associated with pro-poor objectives and support poverty alleviation.
- Respect the customs and habits of the natives; preservation and promotion of cultural diversity and social.
- Ensure that tourism contributes significantly to the improvement of health and education.
Responsibility for the environment
- Environmental impact assessment in the planning and design of tourism projects.
- Use appropriate and sustainable resources, reduce waste and excessive consumption of resources and energy.
- Management of ecological natural diversity in a sustainable way; restore the natural resources sector abused and identify the type of tourism associated with the environment to protecting, preserving intact ecosystems vulnerable to destruction and protection zones.
- Increase training and awareness for all the subject of sustainable development.
- Capacity building for tourism for all subjects and comply with healthy tourism development model, the most effective.
For the local tourism management: policy, strategy, clear development perspective; dissemination, training, documentation, support businesses and local communities follow the principle of responsibility; organization of seminars, training courses to raise awareness and exchange of experience in the practice; propaganda, encourage and honor the typical implementation responsible tourism ...
For the travel business: focus on policy development, business strategy in accordance with the principle of responsibility; attracting and training of human resources; regime for rewarding employees perform responsible initiatives; implementation of the principle of responsible tourism development; develop responsible tourism products; travel guide visitors made responsible; encourage sex tourism activities voluntary and highly responsible activities; building fund environmental protection, community development funds ...
For hotels and tourist accommodation establishments: policy development, business strategy; attract and train personnel; reasonable payoff mode; tourist guide implementation of responsible tourism; implementation of the principles of responsible tourism development, especially in the use of energy, water ...
For other service businesses: management policy, environmental protection and sustainable development activities of the restaurant; energy and water savings; safe food use; handle and limit waste; reduce pollution and use environmentally friendly chemicals; using environmentally friendly materials and green product sales ...
For local communities: need-friendly behavior, respect and support in the process of visiting tourists, learn locally; knowledge of community resources is to protect property and introduce to visitors; participate in tourism activities in an organized manner, to avoid spontaneous, cause confusion, lack of urban civilization ...
For tourists: to understand and comply with local customs; selection enterprise perspective, principles and work towards sustainability and accountability; conscious energy saving; available prepared to participate in environmental activities, supporting social and economic development locally; consciously protect the environment, local culture ...
Vietnam Travel is currently facing many difficulties and challenges, especially on the management and organization of tourism activities. Prior to the new context and global tourism trends, Vietnam tourism industry aware of sustainable development is the inevitable trend of the times. Vietnam's tourism development strategy to the year 2020, Vision 2030 has set out the measures towards the implementation of tourism shall be responsible to achieve sustainable development. To realize this goal will require close coordination between the relevant departments and levels. Development of responsible tourism will create a solid foundation for the comprehensive development of the tourism industry in Vietnam in the future.